Zoning Board of Appeals Office
COVID-19 UPDATE - Due to the Covid-19 Pandemic, the Cohasset Town Hall is closed to the public. We are have virtual meetings and public hearings.
If you have an application you are working on and would like to file, please email or call the office (contact information on the right). We can work together on filing it. Thanking you in advance for your patience while we navigate these new waters. Stay Safe.
The Board of Appeals holds public hearings on applications for zoning variances and special permits and decides appeals of administrative decisions of the town's zoning officials. All submissions for continued hearings need to be filed at the Zoning Board Office at least a week plus 1 day prior to the next hearing. This will allow for the submissions to be included in the board's packets that will be delivered 1 week prior to the hearing. This benefits the applicant as it allows the board to review the materials prior to the meeting.
Submissions can of course be filed after this date, or at zoning board meetings, but the applicant should be aware that in most cases this may lengthen the decision making process.
Application With the Zoning Board of Appeals
To file a Zoning Board of Application, please follow these steps:
- Confirm that you will need to come before the Board with the Building Inspector. If you do, view the Zoning Board of Appeals Application, along with the checklists and other requirements below.
- Call the Zoning Board office and ask when the next meeting is and what the deadline for that meeting will be.
- Make sure you have all of the plans you will need to show the Board what relief you are seeking (you will see these requirements in the application.)
- Obtain a certified abutters list from the Assessor's Office - this costs $25 and can take up to 10 business days.
- Authorize or deny variances from the zoning law.
- Fulfill such other responsibilities as are required under Chapter 40A of Massachusetts General Law.
- Hear and decide applications for special permits.
- Hear and decide appeals from the decisions of the building inspector.