Building & Inspections
Responsibilities & Services
The Building Department is focused on enhancing, maintaining, and protecting the economic and social quality of life in Cohasset by creating and implementing appropriate building and inspection initiatives for the betterment of the Town. The Building Department is responsible, but not limited to, the following - please contact the Building and Inspection Office for more information:
- Administering and enforcing the Massachusetts State Building Code and Zoning Bylaws
- Conduct annual inspections of various buildings and establishments in Cohasset
- Issues Certificates of Occupancy for new and change of use properties
Zoning, Building, Electrical, Plumbing & Gas Inspections
The objective of our inspectors is to ensure that the Town of Cohasset Zoning Ordinance and the State Building Code is strictly, yet fairly, enforced in order that projects may be completed and functioning properly and safely in a timely manner through the following:
- Customer service that is responsive and helpful at initial contact and all the way throughout the process
- Reviews plans and applications for building, electrical, plumbing, gas, or zoning compliance
- Issuance of proper permits
- Thorough professional completion of all field inspections
- Inspection Occupancy Permits
- Maintenance of accurate and complete records
Description & Mission
The Building and Inspection Department administers and enforces the Massachusetts State Building Code, Electrical, Plumbing, and Architectural Access Codes, Cohasset Zoning Bylaws, and Cohasset General Bylaws. The Building Department is to ensure the public safety, health, and welfare of Cohasset's Community through the administration and enforcement of the General Laws of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts and the Town of Cohasset Bylaws as they relate to land use and the construction and occupancy of buildings and structures. The Mission of the Building Inspector/Commissioner, whom is appointed by the Town Manager, issues all necessary notices or orders to remove illegal or unsafe conditions, and will ensure compliance with all requirements of the State Building Code.
Additional Contact Information
The Building Department's office is generally attended during normal Town Hall operating times, however, inspectors are frequently in the field conducting inspections so it is recommended that contacting the Building Office before coming in if a particular inspector is needed. Voice mail is checked continually throughout the day and calls are returned promptly.
All Building Permits should be filed for online. Link to the left.
- Application to Construct or Build a Chimney or Install a Wood or Coal Stove Permit (PDF)
- Change of Construction Supervisor by Property Owner (PDF)
- Historic Commission Application for Certification and Certificate of Appropriateness (PDF)
- Licensed Construction Supervisor Assumption of Responsibility (PDF)