Licensing Information


Every November the Board of Selectmen is responsible for renewing the licenses for the following:

  • All liquor licenses
  • Common victualer licenses
  • Live and non-live entertainment
  • State entertainment licenses
  • Video games and pinball machines
  • Juke boxes
  • Limousine and taxi services
  • Class I, and II auto sales


The Board of Selectmen and Town Manager also license the following each May:

  • Junk Collectors (Antiques) - $30.00 per year
  • Transient Vendors - Only three allowed with preference to Cohasset residents.  Transient Vendor Licenses are only issued from Memorial Day to Labor Day at a cost of $35.00 per year.  The Town sends out a renewal application to the existing transient vendors; only if one of those vendors does not renew will there be an opening.


License Renewal and Application:


When it is time to renew a license, the proper forms are mailed to the contact on the original licensing file.  If the office does not receive the required forms by the date requested, the license will not be renewed and the applicant will have to file a new application.

To apply for a new license, you can print and fill out the application and worker's compensation forms (provided below).  You can then submit these forms with the proper fee, with the payment made payable to the Town of Cohasset - Payment for liquor licenses renewals must be in the form of a bank check)




Forms and Applications

Liquor License Information:


 The Town of Cohasset has the following licenses available:

  • Restaurant - Beer and Wine - 2 available
  • Restaurant - All Alcohol - 3 available
  • Retail Package Store - Beer and Wine - 3 available
  • Retail Package Store - All Alcohol - 0 available


Each Town has an allowable quota of licenses, the number of which is based on the population of the city or town.  The local licensing authority, in our case, The Board of Selectmen, reviews all applications filed with this office before voting on them and forwarding them to the Alcoholic Beverages Control Commission (ABCC).

On September 1, 2010, the ABCC updated their website and forms for local licensing authorities.  To file and application with the Town of Cohasset, please go to the link on the Town Managers Page or follow the link provided below and determine which documents you will need to file with this office.  The ABCC provides links to the forms you will need, as well as a list of what other documents should accompany your application.



If your application requires abutters to be notified, you will need to come to the Cohasset Town Hall and request an abutters list from the Assessor's Office.  This list cost $25.00 and can take anywhere from three to ten business days to create.  If you have any questions regarding you list, you can contact the Assessors directly at (781) 383-4114.

Along with your required forms, a $200.00 payment to the Town of Cohasset needs to be filed with the application.  $200.00 is also due to the ABCC and can also be submitted to us when you file or you can pay online at the ABCC website.


One-Day Liquor License


One-day liquor licenses are required for events that will be serving and charging for alcohol (spirits, beer, and/or wine) or charging people to attend the event;  If money is changing hands, then a one-day liquor license is required.  You must apply for the one-day license twenty-one (21) days prior to the event to allow the Board of Selectmen ample time to vote. 

The Town will also require that whomever is applying for the license, will also hold an insurance liability certificate.  A one-day liquor license is $35.00, made payable to the Town of Cohasset.  You can print the application (found at the top of this page) along with the one-day license policy which is provided below.