Description & Mission
The Assessors' Office has created an overview of the departmental operations to assist taxpayers in business dealings with our office. The Assessors' Mission is to provide fair and uniform assessment information with high accuracy and efficiency in a responsive and timely manner. We are focused on informing and aiding the public to better understand the assessment process, taxpayers' rights, and the exemptions available to qualifying residents.
The Town of Cohasset has an assessing staff of three full time employees who manage the daily activities of the assessing department, under the direction of the Board of Assessors. The Board of Assessors consists of 3 elected members, each member being elected on alternate years. View the Board of Assessors page to learn more about their work for Cohasset.
Responsibilities & Services
The Assessors' office is responsible for determining the fair and equitable distribution of property taxes, while at the same time maintaining an open door to the public in which information can be readily available to the public when needed. The Assessors' Office is responsible for:
- Classifying and determining full and fair cash value of all real and personal property
- Delivering the tax and warrant lists to the Treasurer and Collector's Office
- Reviewing, processing, and recording all exemption and abatement applications
- Submitting values to the MA Department of Revenue every 5 years for certification
- Maintaining up to date assessing and parcel maps
The FY 2019 Tax Rate is $12.90 (per thousand dollars of assessed value). The fiscal year began July 1, 2018 and ends June 30, 2019. For Tax Billing information (billing dates and due dates) please view the Collections Procedures Tab on the Treasurer/Collector home page.